Ubisoft’s smaller-scale digital release Child of Light was a profitable venture for the company, creative director Patrick Plourde revealed during the GameON: Finance conference in Toronto (as reported by GamesIndustry).
“It’s not as profitable as Assassin’s Creed is profitable, but it’s profitable enough that we would have been able to fund a sequel,” Plourde said. “Or if it had been my company, I would be driving a Ferrari and doing donuts.”
“I can’t explain everything, but the main reason why I got greenlit on the project was because I had carte blanche for making Far Cry 3,” he added. “I didn’t want to make Far Cry 3, but they said, ‘Pat, if you do that and help build that brand, we’re going to give you a free shot at the game you want.”
Child of Light’s success has also seen its developers become a “core team” at Ubisoft, the Montreal studio’s VP of creative Lionel Raynaud confirmed in September. Whatever their next project may be remains unknown, though it looks like it’s not a sequel (which is fine by me—industry’s clogged with a enough unnecessary sequels as is).
Child of Light launched across Windows PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, PS Vita, and Wii U this past spring. For more on the rhyming role-playing game, check out my review.
Source: Child of Light
Child of Light creative director says his personal project turned a profit for Ubisoft
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.